Monday, October 12, 2009

I don't wanna be a stupid girl!

While in my undergrad at USM, I did a project called "Avoiding the Stupid Girl" syndrome. This video had just come out and it got me thinking.



Although Pink was making "fun" of the girls who got famous for being stupid. This video got me thinking. Why is it that there are plenty of "smart" guys for boys to look up to, but the ratio of smart:stupid girls is severely skewed. In my project there would be a list of women that girls would have to research and present to the class. I would probably do this during a health class right about 5th-7th grade. Reality stars like Heidi Montage-Pratt and Megan Hauserman make looking dumb look good. As much as I hate to say this (because she is EVERYWHERE) I would rather see them model themselves after the Miley Cyrus' of the world. But even then there is a part of me as a future teacher and parent wondering when she will "break away" from the Disney machine and want to be more of a "bad girl". Isn't it more important to teach girls to be strong...independent woment, not some trophy wife for a future husband?

No comments:

Post a Comment