Sunday, October 11, 2009

Shopping at Walmart


I have been planning a lesson for my field study planned around the book "Where the Wild Things Are". Yes, I did plan this because of the fact that the movie is coming out. While in my travels today I stopped at Walmart. I decided to take a look to see if the book was there.
My first stop was over to the "book" section. I saw a majority of magazines and new releases...no children's books. After talking to a manager I made my way to the toy section.
I was very dissappointed at what I saw. Yes, there were the standard Berenstain Bear books and Lil Critter. Also there were the guided reading books on a spindle, but I almost cried when I looked down the asile.
The children's books were everywhere. Granted it was in a toy section but still, it didn't look very inviting or encouraging to children. What was worse for me was the fact that I had someone look at me and say "I'm not surprised...children are more interested in video games and tv/movies." A friend of our family didn't even know who The Hungry Caterpillar was.
This got me thinking...when do we stop encouraging our children to read? I have children in my life that come running to me with a book the second I walk in the door. When do parents stop reading to their children and start letting the electronic babysitter's take over?
And for myself as a teacher, I look back at the books I read in school. I always felt forced to do it. The only class I remember reading what I wanted was in Maguire's sophmore reading class. I loved it. What I loved and what needs to be brought back is the desire to read. Somewhere between 4th grade and middle school reading became forced and undesired for me. I don't want to be the teacher that does that to my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment